Pages

Gardens

Gardens
Serenity

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thoughts about Mozart (Cont.)

Luckily, a Jewish friend of mine had been holidaying in Far North Queensland, so I thought I would take a look at this part of the world to which my elder brother Philip had gone with his de facto wife several years before. As the train passed through the Queensland border I felt the northern warm weather passing into every part of my frost-bitten body. At Roma Street Station in Brisbane I had to board the Sunlander train which would take me about 1000km. up the Queensland coast to Cairns. As the diesel train chugged on I became more relaxed but I wasn't really sure what to expect at the end of my journey.
Finally, after 2-3 days journey I disembarked at Cairns Railway Station. The train had made brief stops at many other stations en route and I had found myself loving the hanging potplants and ferns that adorned many of the Northern Stations. Cairns Station itself was devoid of any shrubbery but it had a very homely feel to it like many of the other stations we had passed through.
After a brief look beyond the confines of Cairns Station I began to drag my luggage along the road. I had no idea where I would stay. The weather was warm and balmy and at last I decided to opt for camping and fetched up at a nearby disposals store. I put some money down for a two man tent. I then made for the City Caravan Park where I eventually pitched the tent. All this was a completely new adventure for me. I didn't have the slightest idea of what to do, I simply felt my way along to the cooking and sleeping episodes that awaited me. I felt enormously stimulated by the trip and the campsite and a new and exciting chapter had definitely opened up in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment