Pages

Gardens

Gardens
Serenity

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thoughts about Mozart (Cont.)

The Canberra Winters took a lot of getting used to. During the Winter months I was never completely free from the terrific cold whether there was a radiator or central heating or not. Even warm clothing did not dispel the all-pervading cold much. I made a couple of friends at Narellan House one of whom I would play a set or two of tennis with from time to time. Peter Young was a very good tennis player and a good all round sportsman, keen on basketball too. He later moved to the on-campus college, Toad Hall, which was slightly cheaper than other on-campus colleges. He later married while I was working in the Public Service in Canberra and had a couple of children shortly after the marriage.
I suppose I was buying a few L.P.s from time to time and generally familiarizing myself with Bach harpsichord music and other music of Mozart and other composers. I can't remember whether I purchased a set of the Mozart piano sonatas in the A.C.T. or not, perhaps I was still dabbling with his piano concerti. I'm certain that I continued to play his works and remained solidly impressed with them.
While I was still living in Canberra I took a couple of trips to the South-Eastern New South Wales Coast and a few to Sydney. Unfotunately I had some bad experiences trying to stay awake while I was driving. I tended to drowse at the wheel, the quantity of medication I was on was heavy too I think. While in a private hospital at the beginning of my employment in the Public Service I met a Jewish girl called Michal Leslie. I met her family there and after I left Canberra and returned to Queensland and Brisbane, we had a correspondence lasting about thirty years.
She was interested in getting married and having children, but didn't know anything about music at all. My musical experiences were therefore solitary ones connected with Hi-Fi and recorded music. I remember recording a few tracks from Schubert Lieder and the Bach Cantatas I loved for my co-workers to hear. I think that they liked the music which was recorded on a cassette, but after I resigned my job at the Patents Office there was no further communication about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment