Pages

Gardens

Gardens
Serenity

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Between Listening Sessions

I have decided not to let Mozart take complete control of my life and jot down a few thoughts about the music I have been thoroughly enjoying for the past forty or so years. I began my foray into Mozart's music by purchasing one of his operas, The Marriage of Figaro, in about 1971, when I was beginning University studies. At first the music was completely unfamiliar, but after I had played it a few times parts of the music stayed with me and became familiar to me.
I thought that some sections were delightful, that a lot of the music was very dramatic, and very possibly that other sections were just plain boring. But on the whole I could honestly say that I had picked up something new in my world of music and I began to enter an entirely new dimension in my musical thinking.
Mozart was starting to grow on me. My youngest brother thought that the whole project was ludicrous, my mother gave cautious approval. I left home and after leaving the University started to share a house with some guys who were post graduate and very keen music lovers. One guy, who had attended the local grammar school with me, had Mozart's complete piano sonatas on L.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment