Pages

Gardens

Gardens
Serenity

Monday, March 8, 2010

Thoughts about Mozart (Cont.)

I started the Practical Legal Training Course at the A.N.U. and resided at Narellan House in a single room. Narellan House was full of students doing their different courses and unable to pay the expensive rents for on-campus college rooms. There was a billiard table at Narellan House and the students would play annual competitions on it. A set of Snooker balls was also there for people wishing to play that game. There was also a table tennis table, and competitions were also held on that. I won the annual tournament held in table tennis in the year I resided there.

Gradually, I began to take in Canberrra and the University. Narellan House was situated very close to the central city mall called "Civic" and the University itself was also close to the city centre.
Not a great many of the students were following classical music at Narellan, but I looked in at a couple of the music stores in Canberra. In particular I remember one at Manukah where I listened to a few records of Bach Cantatas. I hadn't as yet begun exploring Mozart in any detail. The intense cold of the region began to make itself felt. The Summer months were hot, but the lasting impression was of the Winter months and the incredible cold which came with them. Temperatures during that time were often below zero and despite central heating in the hostels you could feel the cold quite keenly. Often an icy wind would accompany me as I walked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment