Pages

Gardens

Gardens
Serenity

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Well Tempered Clavier

I recently obtained a 4CD set of "The Well Tempered Clavier" by J.S.Bach. It is performed by Glenn Gould and I have been totally immersed in those 48 Preludes and Fugues for the past few days. I admire the harmony and powerful themes of this music. It communicates something very complex yet very definite to the listener. Perhaps the inticate patterns of an oriental rug or tiles arranged in intricate patterns come to mind here. The overall effect is one of harmony and mystery, some themes becoming emphasized in the listener's mind.
It is difficult to listen to discs 1-4 in sequence, so I interpolated discs 1 and 2 of Brahms Klaviersonaten which had the agreeable effect of leaving one impressed by the power and virtuosity of both Brahms and Bach, yet reducing the sweet treacle effect of the Bach. The Brahms had a harmonious and definite sound to it, but was more flowery, romantic and indeterminate. Where patterns seem to rise up before one when listening to the Bach it seemed to me that there were strongly defined but rosier themes in the Brahms.
All of the composers I have discussed in these posts seem to me to have a clear definite touch to them. In some parts of the Bruckner symphony cycle I seem to detect a reaching out to the world. The music inspires in me a sense of the powerful forces that created nature itself. The Mozart is a flowing of musical etiquette. The Bruckner Symphonies reminded me most of the times I spent in Far North Queensland, where I was reaching out to the world all around me in a two man tent pitched on solid eath.

No comments:

Post a Comment