Pages

Gardens

Gardens
Serenity

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Making a Listening Commitment to Mozart.

Lately, I have been focussing on Mozart's Piano Sonatas and Variations. I have discovered that these piano works of Mozart tend to focus my thoughts far more than his piano Concertos, which, though very inspiring, tend to become too familiar. The sonatas tend to pick up my thoughts and concentrate them particularly well. It is difficult for me to listen to the entire piano sonatas in one listening session although I have achieved that once or twice.
I tend to listen to about four of those Daniel Barenboim CD's before turning to the softer tones of the singing and orchestra of the Operas. I turn most often to "Cosi fan Tutti" or "The Marriage of Figaro".These Operas are also useful for tuning up my thinking though without the harsh sound of the solo piano virtuoso increasingly getting on my nerves. The Operas,conducted by Barenboim, tend to quieten down the listening experience.
I also tend to listen to the ethereal beauty of the Variations contained in the Minuet in D, K355, The Fantasia in D Minor, K397, The Rondo in D, K485, The Adagio in B Minor, K540, and completed by the Eine Kleine Gigue in G, K574. These I have played by the Japanese Pianist Mitsuko Uchida.These variations also pick up and concentrate my thoughts.
I tend to think of Mozart's earliest Piano Sonatas, 1-5, K279, 280, 281, 282, and 283 as being of a slightly cooler flavour than his later ones which awe me with their intensity. Sonatas 1-5 tend to ramble considerably, far more the rest which I think have far more diversity and delineation.
The "Marriage of Figaro" cheers me up enormously, while the darker themes of "Don Giovanni" tend to tear at me. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau makes a compelling Count in "The Marriage of Figaro" but there is much gay and poignant beauty throughout these three Operas.

No comments:

Post a Comment